MOGADISHU (SD) – The leaders of Council of Presidential Candidates have today accused the outgoing president Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo of sabotaging electoral talks barely a day after FGS-FMS meeting failed.
In a statement, the leaders expressed concern over the collapse of the electoral talks which had been running since late last week at Afisiyoni hall in Mogadishu Airport.
“Presidential candidates are deeply concerned about former President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo’s attempts to derail the conference on Somalia’s elections attended by leaders of the federal government and the federal member states,” said a council statement.
The candidate blamed Farmajo and his team for working on a plan to seek extension, warning “Any extension which is unconstitutional would be a threat to the country’s stability.”
“It is becoming clear to the Somali people that the former president – referring to current Somalia’s president Mohamed Abdullah Mohamed – is working to undermine efforts to hold an inclusive and peaceful election in the country with the aim of extending his term of office,” the council said.
The remarks of the opposition comes as the talks between the federal government and regional states Presidents aimed at setting the ground for an agreement on the ongoing electoral talks collapsed Wednesday in Mogadishu.
Information Minister Osman Dubbe said in a video statement the talks yielded nothing because of intransigence by Jubbaland and Puntland.
Dubbe said the leaders of the two allied states had ‘dishonored’ the forum but did not indicate exactly where the differences lay.
The failure by the leaders to agree on what would constitute the agenda of the talks now sets another round of disputes which could further lay waste prospects on an election in the country.
Categories: Latest News
Leave a Reply