Mogadishu (SD) – Meeting between the Heads of the Federal Government and the Member States concluded with an agreement on the country’s election process.
The conference was chaired by the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo, and was attended by the Acting Prime Minister HE Mahdi Mohamed Guled, the President of Puntland HE Said Abdullahi Deni, the President of Jubaland HE Ahmed Mohamed Islam, the President of South West HE Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed, the President of Galmudug HE Ahmed Abdi Kariye, the President of Hirshabelle HE Mohamed Abdi Ware and the Governor of Banadir Region and Mayor of Mogadishu Mr. Omar Mohamud Mohamed. The conference took place in Mogadishu from 13-17 September 2020.
The conference followed a series of meetings that began with Dhusamareb 1, 2 and 3 with the Presidents of the Federal Member States of Puntland, Jubaland, Galmudug, HirShabelle and Southwest, resulting in Samareb 2 in consultation with Government officials.
“The Federal Government and the Heads of the Member States of the Federal Government and Banadir Region in connection with the holding of elections in the country on time. It is noteworthy that this conference in Mogadishu completes the Samareb 3 agreement.” According to an statement from Villa Somalia.
During the summit, the leaders discussed the political, security and social situation surrounding the holding of the Federal Parliamentary and Presidential elections, which will take place on time in accordance with the Dhusamareb Accords.
With that in mind, the Heads of State agreed. the following points.
- That the Federal Government appoints a Federal Electoral Commission, in collaboration with a State Electoral Commission.
- Establish two Federal constituencies in regional capitals for each State Government.
- That the number of delegates voting for each MP should be 101 delegates representing the community that shares the seat.
- That the selection of delegates is done in collaboration with traditional elders, civil society, and the State Government.
- Maintain a 30% quota for women.
- That the State Parliament elect the Members of the Upper House.
- That the members of the Upper House of Somaliland elect a joint delegation.
- That the election of the members of the two houses representing Somaliland will take place in Mogadishu.
- The country’s election process begins on November 1, 2020.
- To ensure the security of the elections, the Federal Government of Somalia and the Member States will collaborate.
- This political agreement will be submitted to the Federal Parliament for ratification.
- Leaders emphasize that freedom of expression is inviolable under the Provisional Constitution and the Press Law, and that the media should be given the opportunity to report freely at polling stations and to avoid any harassment that can prevent them from fulfilling their election responsibilities.
- The Conference would like to thank the leadership and community of Galmudug State for hosting the historic Samare 1-3. Also, the people and the Banadir Regional Administration are to be commended for the warm welcome extended to them by the Heads of State and the accompanying delegation.
- We commend the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia, HE Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo, for his commitment to the unity of the country during the negotiations, and for emphasizing the need to work together to resolve the country’s electoral crisis.
- Finally, the Conference commends the International Community for its significant contribution to the reconstruction and development of governance in Somalia.
Categories: Latest News