Latest News

Puntland Demands Answers on Turkish Drone Strike and Shelling Along the Nugal Coast

GAROWE (SD)— Puntland has officially condemned recent attacks along the Nugal coast and demanded an explanation over who carried out the strikes, amid growing concerns about renewed piracy and foreign military activity in the region.

The Puntland administration said attacks reported on August 18 and 20 near Garmal, in Eyl district, damaged fishermen and their property. It also said it is investigating reports that newly emerging pirate groups may be receiving support from forces outside Puntland.

The controversy intensified after a drone strike reportedly took place near Garmal, shortly after a small boat delivered logistics and supplies to the hijacked vessel. Turkish surveillance drones and naval helicopters were reportedly heavily patrolling the waters around the ship at the time.

The airstrike killed several local individuals on the shore. However, family members and community elders strongly disputed claims that those killed were pirates, insisting that they were innocent local fishermen.

Turkey has so far maintained a tight-lipped position, neither officially confirming nor denying involvement in the reported strike.

The incident followed the reported hijacking of the M/V LUTUF off the coast of Eyl. The vessel was reportedly carrying weapons and communications equipment and was heading toward a Turkish military training facility in Mogadishu.

Puntland has condemned the resurgence of piracy but has demanded clarification regarding the attacks, including who carried them out and what their purpose was. The administration warned that such incidents could damage relations and security cooperation with international partners.

The Garmal incident raises questions beyond the renewed piracy threat. If the victims were indeed local fishermen, as their families and community elders maintain, the strike could deepen tensions between coastal communities and foreign security forces operating in Puntland waters.

The reported presence of Turkish surveillance aircraft and helicopters, combined with Ankara’s refusal to confirm or deny involvement, is likely to fuel further questions about who authorized the operation and what intelligence was used to identify the targets.

For Puntland, the issue is particularly sensitive. The administration must combat genuine piracy while also protecting local fishing communities from being mistakenly targeted or associated with criminal networks.

The controversy also highlights the need for greater transparency and coordination between Puntland authorities and international forces operating along its coastline. Without clear information about the strike, the identities of those killed and the basis for targeting them, mistrust is likely to grow.

At a time when piracy is reportedly returning to Somalia’s coastline, Puntland faces the difficult task of balancing international maritime-security cooperation with the protection of its coastal population and its authority over local security affairs.

Categories: Latest News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *