MOGADISHU (SD) – Somalia’s Chief Justice Bashe Yussuf Ahmed said all courts will postpone non-essential, in-person court proceedings starting March 4 until futher notice.
In a statement on Thursday, Ahmed said the move was meant take part in the fight against coronavirus which is ravaging Somalia.
“In light of the recent resurgence of COVID-19 in the country, this pause is necessary to protect the health and safety of our public,” Ahmed said.
The decision by the country’s chief justice comes barely after Somali government imposed strict measures to curb the second wave of COVID-19 in the country.
In a televised statement, the country’s information minister, Osman Abokar Dubbe announced the closure of schools and universities and other government institutions for two weeks.
The government staff would work from home unless they provide essential services, according to the ministry.
Large public gatherings were also banned for 30 days. All passengers arriving in the country will be required to have negative results from valid polymerase chain reaction (PCR) COVID-19 tests done within 72 hours.
Since March last year, when the country recorded its first case, 7,727 people had contracted the disease.
The virus killed 260 victims as 3,867 people recovered from the disease.
Categories: Latest News